BALLA LA VECCHIA AND PAPPA AL POMODORO
Tomato bread soup is another recipe from the Tuscan tradition, a dish of peasant origin. Perfect to eat as a hot soup in winter or exceptional at room- temperature in summer. Try the recipe and pair it with a glass of Balla la Vecchia!
• Cut the bread and place it in a non-stick pan, possibly with high sides; make x incisions on the tomatoes, scald them in boiling water, then peel them, remove the seeds, cut them into pieces and add them to the bread.
• Add salt, garlic, basil (uncut) and cover the bread with water or vegetable broth.
• Cook over low heat, turning often and, while turning, break the bread thus reducing it to a pulp (pappa).
• Leave to cook until the bread has flaked.
• Season with extra virgin olive oil and add a few raw basil leaves.
800g ripe Tomatoes
300g Tuscan, stale bread
A litre of vegetable broth
35g extra virgin olive oil
2 garlic cloves
A pinch of sugar
Salt to taste
Black pepper to taste
A bunch of Basil